In this period, it was not unusual to re-use materials such as this goblet in rock crystal to create a reliquary. This one appears to have come from a12th century Fatimid workshop. At the time of his tenure as bishop in Saint John of Acre, Jacques de Vitry would have been able to collect many such objects and send them to Oignies. The decorative elements of the work prove that the gilded copper work was made by Hugo and his workshop.
Hugo d’Oignies or Oignies workshop
post-1228 or post- 1243 – c.1250 (glass: Egypt or Byzantium, 12th century)
Copper, gold, glass
27,5 cm H, 9 cm ø
Donated by the Sisters of Notre-Dame de Namur
Musée provincial des Arts anciens du Namurois-Trésor d'Oignies (TreM.a)
Inv. no. TO 14