A small nielloed square on which the saint with a halo is represented constitutes the centre of this work. The iconographic vocabulary is the same as for the phylactery of Saint Andrew, but the craftsmanship indicates a different hand. On the reverse side is a Christ in Majesty, holding a globe, surrounded by symbols of the four evangelists.
A phylactery is a reliquary, whose origin lies in the Greek word that designated the amulet that Christians in the Orient liked to wear around their neck.
Second phylactery of Saint André
Hugo d’Oignies and workshop
c.1230 – 1235
Wood, metal (not specified), gold, rock crystal, silver, precious stones
21 cm ø
Donated by the Sisters of Notre-Dame de Namur
Musée provincial des Arts anciens du Namurois-Trésor d'Oignies (TreM.a)
Inv. no. TO 11